Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:23:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oskit and 3.0?

Mike Smith wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > > Amancio Hasty wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > >  > [...]
 > >  > BTW: netboot is really cool:
 > >  > http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flexmach/oskit/html/boot-floppy/
 > >
 > > Yes, indeed, cool...  I still have to use the old bootloader
 > > and aout kernels, because there's no netboot support in the new
 > > bootloader.
 > > I think it's a shame that 3.1-Release won't be able to support
 > > netbooting (at least not without major efforts), like 2.x did.
 > > Netbooting is quite an important feature, IMO.
 >
 > There's work underway at the moment to address this; it should be an
 > easy after-release bolt-on.

I'm really happy to hear that.  :)
At the moment I have to use that self-hacked version of
rawboot, which works with aout kernels only, and doesn't
support /kernel.config...  Setting up PnP cards is a PITA
that way.

 > Testers will, of course, be required.

Here's one tester for you.
As soon as /boot/loader is able to pull a kernel and its
config through an EtherExpress/100 I'll buy you a beer.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)