Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:25:23 -0500
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ltmdm revision 1.4_13 caused issues on 4-Current

hello all,

i'm probably not going to be able to explain this very well, but i hope
nevertheless that this information will prove to be of some use.

4-Current (last build perhaps 1 week ago)

i portupgraded ltmdm last night.  when i booted my desktop this morning,
ltmdm would no longer connect.

i tried running ppp manually and kept getting /dev related errors.  it
would appear that /dev/cual0 had disappeared from /dev since my
upgrading the port.  (because it was working fine the previous evening)

i tried 'sh MAKEDEV cual' and 'sh MAKEDEV all' but no happiness.  it
seems that this device no longer exists in MAKEDEV.

i'm not quite sure which step (or combination of steps) /fixed/ the
problem, but i ended getting the connection back up.

steps taken include:
	1) pkg_add an old version of ltmdm that i keep on hand for emergencies

	2) copying older versions of the comm/ltmdm files into ports and
	rebuilding

	2) adding cual lines to MAKEDEV (simply by following the other
	examples, despite having no real understanding of what i was doing)

errors taken from /var/log/messages include:

ppp[215]: tun0: Warning: Chat script failed
ppp[2556]: tun0: Warning: Chat script failed
ppp[2559]: tun0: Warning: deflink: tcsetattr: Failed configuring device
ppp[2559]: tun0:Warning:deflink:tcsetattr:Unable to restore
device settings

and, of course, variations of this one, as i tried the different devices
which struck me as possible alternatives to cual0:

ppp[2573]: tun1: Warning: deflink: /dev/cualal: Bad file descriptor

anyway.  i'm back online with ltmdm-1.4_5, am now portdowngrading the
ltmdm port, and rebuilding to the last known working version (_12).
hopefully that will sort out my connectivity issues for the next while.

if you'd like me to test anything, please just say the word.

hope that this helps.

cheers,
epi