Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>, Nick Evans <nevans@nextvenue.com>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bridging

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Sean Lutner wrote:
>

> > Bridges create a broadcast zone. broadcast packets will cross the bridge
> > unobstructed.
>
> 	OK.  So do bridged interfaces fall within the same collision
> 	domain?... or are they just members of the same broadcast domain?

FreeBSD bridging support places nodes in the same broadcast domain, but
different collision domains.  As such, you may see reordering of packets
between segments, and packets may be lost transitting between segments.
FreeBSD's bridging support is not 802.1d-compliant for a variety of
reasons, and does not support spanning tree.  That said, it is adequate
for many uses, including our packet filtering support, which is very
useful indeed :-).  That said, we might do well to look at the OpenBSD
bridging code and see if we can merge the behaviors -- they have some
spiffy features (which I heard about at USENIX), including MAC-address
based filtering, and some sort of VPN bridged technique (which sounds very
useful).

  Robert N M Watson