Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:06:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

Scott Myron wrote in list.freebsd-smp:
 > Hello. I want to get a Dual celeron going with freebsd as the OS. My
 > question is, do the chips have to have the same stepping? I read
 > somewhere that if the chips do NOT have the same stepping, it screws up,
 >
 > and causes blue screens in NT, and i was wondering if anything similar
 > happens in FreeBSD. I figure it'll be difficult to get 2 celerons with
 > the same stepping. I am just planning on getting 2 retial ppga celeron
 > 433's. I read somewhere else that "it was just a myth and the processors
 > do NOT have to have the same stepping." so i'm just searching for the
 > truth. Thanks.

I simply ordered two Celeroni (466 MHz) from a reseller
(hoping that they would be of same age and stepping), and
indeed it turned out that they were the same stepping,
and they're working fine since (in a Gigabute GA-6BXD
mainboard).

So I'd suggest that you simply order two of them, and
there will be a good chance that they will be of the same
stepping.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)