Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 11:37:45 -0700
From:      sathalye@qualcomm.com (Sanjeev Athalye)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install problem - HD read-only?

Hi,

I don't know if this one made it to the list before, but here it is:

I have a P5/166, 48Mb RAM, 2.1Gb IDE HD. The HD is partitioned as follows:

DOS             400Mb
FreeBSD       700Mb
WinNT           900Mb

The FreeBSD slice has /, SWAP, /var and /usr, with the / partition within
500Mb. The install works fine until after it asks for the install source
(which is an MS-DOS partition). It then attempts to do the commit
operation, and write the files, but comes back with a message stating that
the HD is "read-only". It tries to copy the files, and says, "Wrote -1
bytes ....". I have tried installing FreeBSD about 6 times, trying
different things, but have always met with this stumbling block. Please
help.

Thanks.

Sanjeev Athalye
Qualcomm Inc.