Date:      Thu, 5 May 2011 10:36:25 -0400
From:      "Daniel Staal" <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        "krad" <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Laptop Multi-HD partitioning advice (ZFS)

> I think you may be agonizing to much. You would have to to seriously bad
> to make it slow and even then its a relative thing.
>
> Giving it 4GB ZIL, 8 GB swap, and 28 gb l2arc will make it rapid and cover
> you for most things. Putting the swap on the 250 gig drive wont make much
> difference though as like you said you wont be paging to disk much
>
> Put the bootblocks etc on the hd. They are only 64kb anyhow so will make
> no noticable difference to the boot time. Also if your ssd dies you wont
> have an unusable system (apart from a zil issue maybe)

I know I'm completely over-analyzing this.  ;)  But where's the fun in
computers if you can't over-analyze something?

I know any of the ways will *work*.  (Or can be made to.)  I'm just asking
for the wisdom and the opinions of the internets on whether anything could
be considered 'better'.

So: Thanks for your thoughts.  (One note: Loss of the ZIL drive should not
be a problem under the patched ZFS.  As of ZFS v19, the ZIL can be lost or
removed without affecting the filesystem.  Prior to that once you had
defined a ZIL drive you needed to always have a working ZIL drive.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.