Date:      15 Feb 2000 19:04:28 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec SlimSCSI

Hi,

the mail archives seem to be down so I'll just have to bugger you
mobile BSDers ...

I recently installed 3.4-20000128-STABLE on my laptop and am now
tinkering with pc cards. Haven't got around to experimenting with
PAO. So far, I've only been working with what the basic install gives
me.

I already got my nic working alright so things are going pretty
good. The adaptec SlimSCSI (1460A) is giving me some slight headaches,
though.

When I insert the card, I get a Card inserted message but right after
that pccardd moans: driver allocation failed for Adaptec, Inc.

My setup WRT the Adaptec card is:

Kernel conf:
===========
controller      card0
device          pcic0 at card?
device          pcic1 at card?

controller      scbus0  #base SCSI code
device          da0     #SCSI direct access devices (aka disks)
device          cd0     #SCSI CD-ROMs
device          pass0   #CAM passthrough driver

# I'm assuming the SlimSCSI needs the aic driver. I'm not sure about
# the rest of the line either.
controller      aic0    at isa? port ? cam irq ?

/etc/pccard.conf:
================
io 0x240-0x3ff
irq 6 8 10 11 13 15
memory 0xd4000 96k

# Adaptec SlimSCSI (also included with Sony CD-ROM players)
card "Adaptec, Inc." "APA-1460 SCSI Host Adapter"
        config  0x9 "aic0" ?
        insert  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI inserted
        remove  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI removed

edited dmesg:
============
pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> rev 0xe2 int a irq 255 on pci0.4.0
ep0 not found at 0x300  [the ep driver works fine, though]
aic0 not found
PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD672X (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 9
Initializing PC-card drivers: ep sio

So, what could be wrong? The "config" line for the SlimSCSI looks like
a possible suspect as do the io/irq values. At the moment I have no
way of checking them, so a push in the right direction is very much
appreciated.

Jussi