Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:38:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MediaGX and calcru: negative time

> > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE3.2A>, multi-block-16
> > wd0: 3079MB (6306048 sectors), 6256 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> > wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <FX320S/q01>, removable, intr, dma, iordis
> > wcd0: 5512Kb/sec, 256Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
> > wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked
>
> Nothing out of the ordinary there...
>
> > calcru: negative time: -6644 usec
> > pid 8197 (dl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> dl is one of your programs?  Backtrace the core dump and see what made it
> fall over.
>
> > calcru: negative time: -6644 usec
> > pid 8211 (dl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > calcru: negative time: -6644 usec
> > pid 8211 (dl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > calcru: negative time: -6644 usec
> > pid 8211 (dl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > /kernel: file: table is full
> > syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
>
> dl was probably leaking file descriptors ...
>
> > Now, since Cyrix is supporting us with this product, are there any questions
> > I can ask them that may shed some light?
>
> The calcru is probably related, but I doubt your crashes are.  You'll have
> to analyse the core.
>
> > It appears that the problem is brought out by lots of IDE access. The IDE
> > interface is done internaly, in the CPU. Could timeouts/delays in the IDE
> > side be slowing the clock somehow?
>
> Most likely ..

dl is one of my apps.... It runs fine, and only crashes when i get one of
thse calcru's. (it runs days at a time sometimes, i get a calcru error, and
it dies within seconds).

If it helps any, dl uses lots of sysv shared memory, and lots of mmap()ing.

It appears that it's segfaulting trying to read a global variable in the
application. It's different each time, but always a global variable.

I posted this to -current, since a similar discussion went on here not to
long ago, I believe. :)

Kevin