Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:37:58 -0400
From:      Jerry Bell <jerry@reillyplating.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpr and 2.2.2

When I upgraded from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, I lost the ability to print to my jet
direct box.  A message is logged from lpd saying '/dev/lp: No such file or
directory'.

I have the printcap file se to look something like this:

laser|remote printer:\
	:rm=copier:\
	:rp=text:\
	:sd=/var/log/output/copier:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

where copier is defined in the hosts file.  I can successfully ping and
telnet to copier (by referencing 'copier').

When I send something to 'lpr -Plaser', it just sits there.
'lpq -Plaser' produces:

Warning: unable to get official name for local machine one
Warning: no daemon present
Rank	Owner		Job	Files

Then it lists all of the queue'd print jobs.

On another UNIX system (and this one before I upgraded), 'lpq -Plaser'
produced:

JetDirect lpd: no entries

I seems that lpd is trying to use the default lp value (/dev/lp) even when
rm and rp are defined in printcap.

If I stick a line like lp=/dev/null in printcap under the 'laser' printer
definition, I don't get the message about '/dev/lp not found', and the
print jobs are flushed (apparently through /dev/null).

A few other notes:
I have the IPDIVERT, and IPFIREWALL flags set, running in firewall mode.
(don't really think it's a factor)

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry Bell
jerry@reillyplating.com