Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 23:13:54 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Testers please!

> The file
>
> 	ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming/fixit_kernel
>
> Contains the latest wonder, a complete fixit_floppy in one kernel.
>
> Please try and boot it, and tell me what you think.

Interesting.

First impressions:

1. Hey, neat idea!

2. Hmmm.  But is it good for anything?  :-)

Testing environment was a 486/33 with 8MB of memory.  Every command is
DOG SLOW.  I mean SLOW.  So slow that I think I might be inclined to
simply reformat rather than fix.. :-)

Why does it take such an inhumanly long time?  Everything from `date'
to `ls' lags about 3 seconds before startup and this is without any
I/O to the floppy at all!  Hmmmmmmmm..

3. spwd.db is 0 length, resulting in some anguish from the system.

Other than that, it's pretty neat stuff!  If the wrinkles can be ironed
out, I could see this as a nice tool.

					Jordan