Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:12:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Caching namesever in sandbox not resolving local boxes

On 14 Oct 2002, Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>   I thought I had this one licked, but I may have ommited some step that
> I'd like to get some info on, please.
>
> I've got named configured as a caching nameserver in a sandbox on my
> gateway as per the Handbook. However when I run nslookup on other
> machines on my network, I get this:
> # nslookup <lan box>
> Server:  <upstream NS>
> Address:  upstream NS IP>
>
> *** <upstream NS> can't find <lan box>: Non-existent host/domain
> #
>
> I have the lan box in /etc/hosts and my domain included at the top of
> /etc/resolv.conf.

	Your /etc/resolv.conf should be:

		search domain.com
		nameserver 127.0.0.1

> I'm thinking that I can't resolve any other hosts on my network because
> I've not got entries for them in a zone file, but then the handbook says
> that to create a caching nameserver:
>
> "A caching name server is a name server that is not authoritative for
> any zones. It simply asks queries of its own, and remembers them for
> later use. To set one up, just configure the name server as usual,
> omitting any inclusions  of zones."
>
> So, am I missing something here. I might well be mistaken in my
> understanding of exactly *what* a caching nameserver is supposed to do.

	Yes, to have your local names resolve via nslookup you need to
	create a zone and add your local hosts in that zone.  At that
	point, your nameserver is no longer a caching-only nameserver.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
 "Wouldn't it be great if we could answer people with a
  kick to the crotch?"  -maddox@xmission.com