Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 10:08:45 -0400
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        spaz@u.washington.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CLISP clarification, Was: New Snapshot...Good and Bad....

    John> Hokay; Allow me to clear up all of this confusion that i
    John> started...

	<...>

    John> @ncftp>more ANNOUNCE @This is CLISP, a Common Lisp
    John> implementation.

    John> @ CLISP is mostly CLtL1 compliant, with some CLtL2
    John> additions, including a @ CLOS subset. Many features of CLtL2
    John> or dpANS CL are currently not @ supported.

    John> @ The newest versions will always be available via anonymous
    John> ftp from @ ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2],
    John> directory @ /pub/lisp/clisp/.  @ Another ftp site carrying
    John> CLISP is @ ftp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.206.173], directory
    John> user/ai/lang/lisp/impl/clisp/.  ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Given the
    John> thread of this conversation I think this mirror is kind of
    John> significant. It would seem to me that if cmu wants to mirror
    John> this particular implementation that would indicate that they
    John> felt that it was a reasonable job that implements some
    John> significant feature not found in there original.

	Actually, The CMU site is a repository for lots of AI stuff,
	practically anything that ever made it out of the labs, I think.

    John> 	 I would be willing to bet that significant feature is
    John> SIZE!!!

    John> @ Our Common Lisp CLISP @ * needs only 1.5 MB of memory
    John> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Hmm, that beats GCL which starts life at 2.4 MB. Seems like
	it used to be smaller than that. Anyhow bear in mind that
	Lisp grows like a wart once it has to actually do anything.

    John> 	Did i read in someone else's posting that CMU CLISP
    John> wants 16M?!!!

	Anybodys Lisp wants lots of memory. GCL starts at 2.4 MB with
	basic features. Add CLOS, LOOP, Conditions, etc to get some
	of the CLtL2 functionality and it gets to 6.3 MB real quick.
	Toss in CLX for X support and we are pushing 8MB. Add in
	some application code, maybe a blackboard or rules system
	and we start to exceed the VM limits on a 16 MB box. From
	my experience, 16MB should be considered a minimal system
	for running Lisp. 32MB is pretty nice. I saw one post where
	a guy was running 192MB and was pretty happy.

    John> @ * implements 99% of the CLtL1 standard, as well as some
    John> extensions @ * can call your preferred editor @ * is freely
    John> distributable

    John> @ Get it via anonymous ftp from
    John> ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de @ [129.13.115.2], @
    John> directory /pub/lisp/clisp/, or contact @ Bruno Haible
    John> <haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.

    John> 	If you are not hot and sweaty about getting the exact
    John> particular package then i would seriously look at this. It
    John> made right the heck up on 2.0R ( excepting __const char
    John> *__const sys_errlist, of course ). It might be an improvment
    John> to *have* this as opposed to *wondering* about the
    John> portability of the full on CMU version.

	Yeh, I might just check it out and see how it compares to GCL.
	The neat feature of CMU Lisp
	is that it is close to the new ANSI spec and has a native mode
	compiler rather than having to go the Lisp-to-C route. The
	bad news is that the i386 instruction set is not one of
	alpha, Sparc or SGI. Also, it turns out that there is assembly
	language hooks to the kernel for each implementation and one
	needs an operational CMU-Lisp just to build the .h file for
	the underlying C code. Looks like a challenge.

    John> 	As i said originally, it flops on the current snap. It
    John> compiles fine but seems to run out of room on my 8 meg 386
    John> during the bytecompile stage ( this is a total wag , i infer
    John> this because the lisp environment gets created from the c
    John> code, executes, goes to work on a mess of *.lsp and dies in
    John> one called clos.lsp, but what i don't know about lisp defies

	Ah, but once you get to know it - you will either love it or
	hate it. Close to the being the worlds oldest computer language
	and one considered by many to be the worlds greatest systems
	programming language of all time!

    John> 	One of our vm gurus, i think it was DG but it might
    John> have been Bruce, mentioned something about needing snapshots
    John> to test out the current state of the vm code..so i would
    John> think that this might be an elliptic reference to the grief
    John> i was having.

	Building Lisp on a small box WILL beat the cr ^H^H^H^H
	mm, stress test any VM system.

    John> 	in case you are wondering why i am torturing myself
    John> with a language i can't comprehend,,, lisp is the lang of
    John> choice for symbolic computation and the guy that wrote this
    John> clisp has also done a gorgeous port of some classic symbolic
    John> computation code. Given the fact that i dont even know what
    John> the equivalent of printf is in lisp, it seemed logical to

	(format t "The number is ~d~%" 1)

    John> get his *environment* if i wanted to use his *port* with any
    John> chance of having a successfull compilation. Which, btw,
    John> turned out to be the case on 2.0R.

    John> 	obviously, i eagerly await the next snap, but i think
    John> i am stuck now until 2.1 because i dont see where i will
    John> have time to do this again until the quarter is over...it
    John> tooks three days of near continuous effort ( thank heaven my
    John> wife was out of town... :-) )

	The GCL port ought to work fine on -current.

	Good luck.
	Paul