Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ultrium lto2 tape drive & bacula on freebsd

I used to work at a company doing QA testing of Dell hardware. FreeBSD
was my OS of choice for testing various SCSI hardware. I can tell you
I've never had any problems using Dell's LTO2 drives in any of their
PowerVault tape jukes or rack units. The only problems I've had is that
some of the tape jukes act a little differently when unloading tapes. I
don't remember exactly which ones acted this way, but some of them
required you to "mt offline" the drive before moving from it, some
would automatically move from the drive to the source when offline'd,
and some would let you move without offlining the drive. The drives
themselves behaved just fine under the sa driver regardless of firmware
revision or any other parameters I might have tested them under. Hope
this helps.
- David

--- Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com> wrote:

> at my work we are finally building a more serious backup
> server.  as there is a good deal on lto2 drives @ dell, most
> likely we will be buying the drive + the server from them.
> so i am looking for feedback from people who have used lto2
> drives with freebsd.  what worked, what worked particularly
> well, what didn't work, what to watch out for etc.  i'd also
> be interested in your experience with lto2 drives and linux.
>
> also, how well does bacula work on freebsd and how does it
> compare with amanda?  we will be backing up windows, linux,
> freebsd & solaris filesystems. thanks for any information!
>
> -- bakul

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use of the information contained within this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html