Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@gator.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0, OpenSSL and MD5 (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Frank Seltzer wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > Build your world with NODESCRYPTLINKS=yes, or if you're doing a binary
> > install then point the libcrypt links to libscrypt manually post-install.
>
> I used
>
> 	make -DNODESCRYPTLINKS=true {build|install}world

	If you are using the -D flag to make, you should not specify a
value. "Defining" a variable for make is a boolean. It is either defined
or it is not defined. The entries in /etc/make.conf could be set equal to
"hairy blue pelicans" and it would not matter. In make.conf syntax you do
have to set it equal to something to define it (just to confuse you
further) but for example in the C code you would use:

#define NODESCRYPTLINKS

which would be exactly equivalent to:

make -DNODESCRYPTLINKS world

	If you did want to set a variable equal to a specific value, you
would do exactly what you have there without the -D. This confused me at
first too.

	I know that the option works because I use it at home in
/etc/make.conf, but a quick look at secure/lib/libcrypt/Makefile indicates
that you simply need to define it, and it should work for you as well.

Good luck,

Doug