Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        ee96199@tom.fe.up.pt
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS tree from the 2.2.1 CDROM

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 ee96199@tom.fe.up.pt wrote:

> Since it has the CVS tree as of the CD's release date I was
> thinking of using that tree to keep a copy of the CVS Repository
> in my machine.
>
> Can upgrade the tree that comes with the CD using CVSup to
> maintain a copy of the Repository without downloading the
> entire Thing?

Yes.  You can use the provided CVS tree as a seed.  Your first transfer
will be big, to bring you from CD press to current, but after that it
should drop off.

> Will CVSup check each file on my local tree to see if files
> need to be updated? Or, can I specify a date and CVSup
> will update all files changed from that date (I could use
> the date of 2 days before the CVS tree I have...)?

Unless you state otherwise, CVSup checks the indicated distributions for
changes, and if there are any, it brings them up to sync with the server.

Do remember that unlike sup, CVSup transfers diffs instead of full files,
so the actual data transferred is rather small.  That's why we went with
cvsup in the first place.  :)