Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:46:10 +0000
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New pkg-message[.in] guideline idea

On 06/23/10 14:40, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:16:07PM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
>> Hi freebsd-ports@,
>>
>> I would like to propose you something that I would like to be done.
>> It's a cosmetic, useless thing but I like when things are made
>> homogeneously. That is the problem : as you can see, sometimes port
>> tells a message to the user but some maintainers used delimiters to
>> begin/end the message such as a lot of "***" or "===" or blank spaces.
>>
>> If you already did use NetBSD pkgsrc, you can see that *every* MESSAGE
>> is composed like this :

>> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.1.1.1 2008/10/20 09:28:51 wiz Exp $
>>
>> Note you need audio/audacious-plugins to actually play music.
>>
>> I would do something like this to the FreeBSD ports, if you agree with
>> me I can check every messages and modify them. I can also put
>> something in the FreeBSD porter's handbook to write a "pkg-message
>> template"
>>
>> I know that there is much more important work to do, that's why I can
>> take all this work for myself.
>
> I think a better solution is to do what portmaster does and display all
> the pkg-message files as one of the last things it does. I had a patch
> to do this sitting in portmgr@ queue but it needs more work.
>
> A combination of some standardization of pkg-message files and
> displaying them all at the end of a build would be best.
Yes thats definitely a needed feature.

I think we need 2 things:

1) All pkg-message whether .in or not go
   through the 'sed' that SUB_LIST/PLIST_SUB do.
2) You collect them in to /var/db/pkg and loop
   and display at end.

As a consequence all formatting should be removed from the individual
pkg-message[.in] files and added in #2.

Ideally I'd say we should just slowly switch everything to
FILESDIR/pkg-message[.in] but portmgr@ already veto'd that before so
I'll drop that idea.

- --
VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.