Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:13:37 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS server using two NICs

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Clients are UDP..

UDP for NFS is evil.  See the list archives for details.

> > o     Drop the read/write size to less than or equal to the
> >       amount of that can be sent in a single MTU.
[ ... ]
> Ok.. I'll give the read/write size shrinkage a try - Do you know what
> should work?  mtu's from ifconfig show 1500 - that seems awefully small.

Make it all fit in one packet.  I don't know what options, etc.,
you are using.  I would suggest 1K (1024), so that it will fit
in a single packet, even with some extra options set.

1500 is the standard MTU... if it looks small to you, you must
have some really whacked-out hardware... and it must violate the
ethernet standards.  8-).

Feel free to switch to an 8K (8192) or large read/write size,
*IF you use TCP instead of UDP*.

-- Terry