Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:28:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rhett@alasir.com
Subject:   Re: top failure

RMH <rmhlldr@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
 > FAQ doesn't solve the problem, because:
 > a) both kernel and world are from 4.7-RC1, i.e synchronised;
 > b) kernel was loaded in usual way, through /boot/loader.
 >
 > The problem is, that kernel _without_symbols_ doesn't work with
 > libkvm, but otherwise does fine. Why? Also interesting that this
 > doesn't happen on -CURRENT. Is it a bug of libkvm? Can anyone
 > reproduce this issue on -STABLE or 4.8-RELEASE?

Did you strip(1) your kernel?
If so, it explains what you are seeing.  Don't do that.

Regards
   Oliver

"People who claim Windows is superior to Unix are the same people who'd
argue that you better use your hand instead of toilet paper to wipe your
ass. I can hear them now - 'It's colourful and it's intuitive and easy
to use and even a child could do it.'" -- (unknown)