Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgraph bridging: what is LOCAL_IFACE?

All the interfaces specified will stop working as normal interfaces, as
their lower halves will be disconnected from their upper halves.. in other
words the lower 'physical' part is run without any connection to the
normal networking layer..  The bridging code (netgraph bridging) takes
over this function instead.

I think that if you send out a packet on one of these interfaces it may
still make it out because we don't actually (last time I checked) bother
to disconnect that, but all incoming packets will be passed to the bridge
module, which will be keeoping track of MAC addresses and doing bridging
as required.. Now, if you want to be on that bridged network as well, then
you need to nominate which of the NICS should be your representative on
that bridged network. The TOP part of that NIC (the bit you assign
addresses to) will be joined into the bridging set, just like all the
other NICS (logically there is no difference). The bridging code will send
it a copy of any packets that have it's MAC address as destination and
broadcast packets, just as it would any other segment..

Theoretically wo should remove teh bridged NICs from the ifconfig
list but that would be too much work.

Basically your NIC is just treated like another bridged segment, but with
only one known node on it..