Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2019 13:29:21 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        RW via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with ntpd

<stephen@missouri.edu> wrote:
>=20
> For some reason, ntpd has stopped correcting the time on my FreeBSD
> computer.  After 12 hours, my clock has fallen back 4 hours!  So it is
> very serious.

If the time offset it too high, ntpd will not change it.

This might help:

     -g, --panicgate
             Allow the first adjustment to be Big.  This option may =
appear an
             unlimited number of times.

             Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if =
the
             offset exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by =
default.
             This option allows the time to be set to any value without
             restriction; however, this can happen only once. If the =
threshold
             is exceeded after that, ntpd will exit with a message to =
the
             system log. This option can be used with the -q and -x =
options.
             See the tinker configuration file directive for other =
options.

     -G, --force-step-once
             Step any initial offset correction..

             Normally, ntpd steps the time if the time offset exceeds =
the step
             threshold, which is 128 ms by default, and otherwise slews =
the
             time.  This option forces the initial offset correction to =
be
             stepped, so the highest time accuracy can be achieved =
quickly.
             However, this may also cause the time to be stepped back so =
this
             option must not be used if applications requiring monotonic =
time
             are running.  See the tinker configuration file directive =
for
             other options.

> Every so often I correct the time with "ntpdate =
0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org",
> but the lag starts right away after the update.

If you do NOT correct the time does the lag continue to grow? How =
quickly? What is your timezone set to? Have you told your system to be =
on UTC or local time? Is your BIOS set to UTC or the local time?

--=20
Dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off.