Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 00:56:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wvstreaams + wvdial on FreeBSD 8.1 AMD 64

--0-709418500-1283266605=:29840

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 326, Issue 2, Message: 2
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:27:47 -0500 Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> wrote:
 > > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
 > > wrote:

 > >> Don't have experience with it :(  Have used kppp in FreeBSD and Linux,
 > >> but also use wvdial.  I prefer those tools and examples in FreeBSD
 > >> Handbook have not worked for me before sadly.
 > >>
 > >> Regards,
 > >>
 > >> Antonio
 > >
 > > Did you try PC-BSD?
 > >

 > No :(
 >
 > Had tried it before, but I read that it too lacks kppp and that the
 > port is broken with no apparent fix in sight.

It's not just that kppp, from KDE's linuxcentricity, only supported
pppd & not FreeBSD's ppp(8), but that pppd on FreeBSD received scant
attention in recent years and was dropped altogether in FreeBSD 8.0

ppp(8) works fine and is well supported and well documented in the man
page and Handbook.  You shouldn't have any trouble gaining experience
with it, and if you do, lots of people here can help with config.

Having delved into the complexities of pppd setup on a Linux system
myself, I quite understand why people preferred a front-end for it :)
ppp(8) needs one config file and is easily managed by simple script/s.

cheers, Ian
--0-709418500-1283266605=:29840--