Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:09:06 +0100
From:      Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail: operation timed out

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a mail server, system is FreeBSD 4.5-release, sendmail
8.11.6. (pretty much default install - still on generic kernal)

I'd been setting up some mail filtering, but taken that out again - it just
hooks in by running sendmail daemon using a custom .cf file.

internal mail between users is working fine; incoming external mail works
fine, but outgoing mail just sits in the queue - mailq reports, eg:

g5HB2HY00264        6 Mon Jun 17 12:02 aph
                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with mx14.hotmail.com.)
                                       xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

I can run mail to send a message and immediately mailq and get the above
result, with not even a pause for it to actually look at something and
timeout!

/etc/resolv.cnof looks ok, indeed DNS lookups seem ok (after all, it's
found the mx host!) and I can manually telnet to port 25 on the target
mailserver from the fbsd box, so it's not a firewall issue. (got a hardware
one external to this machine, nothing set up in software.)

timeout settings in sendmail.cf all at default..

Can anyone give me any clues where I should look at fixing this?!

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.

--
APH Computers Ltd.