Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:35:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject:   pppd error message (FreeBSD <-> Debian GNU/Linux)

I don't know if this is a FreeBSD problem or a Debian GNU/Linux
problem...

I'm using pppd between kirk (a FreeBSD 2.1.6.1-RELEASE machine) and
bitbucket (a Debian 1.2 box, linux kernel 2.0.27). It works fine,
except for an annoying message that keeps showing up in kirk's log
files:

Jan 21 19:42:26 kirk pppd[24736]: demuxprotrej: Unrecognized
Protocol-Reject for protocol 19041!

It usually happens once every ten minutes (to the second) but sometimes
more or less often. It really clutters up kirk's log files, and I'd
like to put a stop to it if I can.

>From bitbucket, I use pppd+chat to dial kirk, log in, and exec kirk's
pppd. Here are the config files. No error messages appear in
bitbucket's log, and kirk doesn't get any messages until some time
after the connection is established.

Here are the /etc/ppp/options files. I am the only person using pppd on
either of these two machines.

kirk:
passive
+pap
login
proxyarp
netmask 255.255.255.0
204.244.190.1:204.244.190.9

bitbucket:
/dev/ttyS1
115200
modem
defaultroute
crtscts
passive
user steve

I've also tried pppd with the "modem" and "crtscts" options on kirk,
and the "-ac -bsdcomp -pc -pred1comp -vj" compression disabling options
on bitbucket. No change.

Other than these messages, everything is fine. Both modems are Cardinal
33.6 kbps external. I get FTP speeds over 3k per second and `ping -s 8`
times of 100-110 ms.

Anyone know how to stop these messages?