Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:56:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        kline@tera.com, publisher@laptop.ompages.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Gary Kline wrote:

# 	The idea of a LinuxBSD or DebianBSD || <you-choose>
# 	would really kick.  It occured to me many moons ago;
# 	what also occured is the tremendous effort involved.

This sorta makes my point.  Why do you want another distribution?
Why not fix the problems with the one we already have?  Is FreeBSD
so beyond repair[1] that we can't fix what's wrong it and have a
much better distribution than we have now.

I offered to help port dpkg and friends to FreeBSD, because
I've never used Debian and have heard quite a number of people
claim it is better than FreeBSD's ports collection.  Learning
what they've done right, where we've fallen short, and fixing
FreeBSD's problem is what benefits the project most.  Dilluting
the userbase and developers[2] does nothing to help FreeBSD in
the long run.

# 	I'd support it; I'd port for a linux+bsd system; plus
# 	keep on my DaemonNews column to add support there.
# 	Beyond that, there simply aren't enough hours/week ...

Keep working on the Ports Collection and lend a hand to Marcel
and friends with the Linux Binary ABI.  Developing a new distro
won't get you there any faster than if we all just focus on
what's not right with what we have and fixing it instead.

-steve

[1] I happen to like the Ports collection and though there are
    things I wished it did, I'm not going to start a new distribution
    so I can fix them.
[2] Imagine what more the Linux community could accomplish if it
    were one cohesive unit instead of what amounts to some 100+
    competing distributions.