Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:41:19 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        A G F Keahan <ak@freenet.co.uk>, John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some VMware progress. More questions (was Re: latest VMware port   dumping core. )

At 12:12 PM +0300 7/25/00, A G F Keahan wrote:
>John Reynolds wrote:
> >  o In vain, I tried to access my CD-ROM which is a scsi device
> >    sitting on ahc0 target 3. If I tried to "install" this device
> >    inside the configuration editor I instantly get a core-dump
> >    the next time I try to "power on" the VM with the following
> >    message to the console:
> >
> >       /: write failed, file system is full
> >       VMware Workstation PANIC: Slave process "SCSI0:3" died
> >       VMware Workstation PANIC: BUG F(566):524 bugNr=3728
> >       Panic loop
>
>This is probably because your / partition is full.  VMWare creates
>a large file in /tmp (slightly larger than the amount of RAM you
>specified), which you can't see because it's unlink()ed.  You could
>try symlinking /tmp to /var/tmp or another location that has more
>disk space, and see if the problem persists.

Do not play around with symlinks for /tmp.  One of the readme or
hints files talks about setting and exporting an environment variable
so that vmware will use a different directory than /tmp for it's
purposes.  I created a simple shell which just sets that environment
variable, and then starts the real vmware.

At the very least, /var/tmp is MEANT to be different than /tmp, and
thus I expect that you should not symlink the one to the other.

It would probably be a good idea to change how vmware does this.
Creating very large files in /tmp is not a good idea, given the
default disklabel-configuration that freebsd uses.  /tmp is in
root (/) by default, and by default that is not a very large
partition.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute