Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 12:52:29 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Torin" <t_lucas@alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:   Re: Service Provider?

FreeBSD will not neccessarily allow you to become your own service
provider.  But, it's a tool that's freely availiable for you to use
in the persuit of becoming an ISP.  You will probably also need to
consider many other things, such as your upstream provider.  What
kind of bandwidth you want to have (can be very expensive).  What
kind of modems/terminal servers you want (can also be very
expensive).

With FreeBSD installed on a decent x86 machine, you have a solid
foundation upon which to build an ISP.  I know, I've done it.  But
there's many other factors involved.  For some good information on
becoming an ISP, check out the FAQ at http://www.amazing.com/internet/
  It's got some good information that you'll need to know.
Best of luck to you,

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

 ----