Date:      Fri, 01 May 2009 00:25:12 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experiences with Supermicro Twin servers? (6016TT / 6026TT / 6015TW)

Andrew Snow wrote:
> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>> are there somebody with some experiences (bad or good) with Supermicro
>> Twin servers? Mainly with 2U model 6026TT-TF or 1U model 6016TT-TF
>> build on top of Intel 5520 Tylersburg (or any other?)
>

> They lack PS2 ports so you need USB keyboard to work properly.  When I
> tried FreeBSD 7.1 on the previous generation (based on Intel 5400
> Seaburg), the keyboard would not work at all, even though it worked with
> 7.0.

I have a bunch of Sun Fire X2100 M2 which lack PS2 too, but USB keyboard
is working fine. Did you test it with upcomming 7.2?

> The IPMI daughterboard conflicts with the on-board LAN when FreeBSD is
> running, causing packet loss and reduced performance and sometimes locks
> you out.  So you need to use IPMI with a dedicated external LAN port -
> which then blocks the only available PCIe slot.

Can you explain it more detailed? Do you have model where IPMI card have
shared NIC port with standard on-board NIC? Intel 5520 Tylersburg based
Twin servers have IPMI + KVM integrated onboard with dedicated third NIC
port. May I expect problems or am I save with dedicated port?

There are 4 NIC ports on Sun Fire X2100 M2, where 2 are nVidia and 2 are
Broadcom (bge). One of those bge is shared with IPMI + KVM, but in this
case, it works fine for more than year with hw.bge.allow_asf="1" in
loader.conf. No locks, no packet loss.

What is model number of your servers?

Thank you for your reply

Miroslav Lachman