Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:30:47 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT freeze under high load

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 07:12:24PM +0200, Andrea Campi wrote:
> I know. I'd like to look deeper into the issue, but from a quick glance at the
> code, I don't think I could figure out a way to separate those "things" and tr
> each one. Do you happen to have separate patches for them, that I could try?

It's a bit hard to seperate the bits out, which is why it happened
as one commit. I'll see if I can come up with something to segregate
the code out a bit. One possibility would be to add a printf to
the internalise and externalise functions in uipc_usrreq.c - that
way we can see if it is actually executing the code there. If it's
not, then that narrows things down a bit.

> in the sources didn't return anything. Also, from what I can understand withou
> really reading all of that #@#@ DJB code, qmail mainly uses pipe and 2 or 3
> fifos. AFAIK your commit wasn't intended to change that, but is it possible
> that a bug did sneak in?

Hmm - I don't think my code should have changed fifos or pipes at all.

> Anyway, both ways I can trigger the bug (find . -type f | xargs mutt, and
> actually running fetchmail -a) do generate a LOT of work, so it's actually
> possible that your diagnosis (mbuf exhaustion) is correct; trouble is, this
> shouln't hurt the machine to the point I can't even enter DDB.

Maybe I'll try installing qmail at home and reproducing the problem.

> > Also, are you running on alpha or i386?
>
> i386, IBM Thinkpad 570E (not that it being a laptop makes any difference, of
> course ;-))

OK - that eliminates one possibility ;-)

	David.