Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:18:26 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: print/cups: since update to 1.7.1: error : Send-Document client-error-document-format-not-supported

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 15:42:10 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Since the update of print/cups from 1.5.X to 1.7.1 I'm unable to print from LibreOffice,
> Firefox or Claws-Mail, but I can print LaTeX created documents via xpdf or Postscript
> directly by naming the printqueue.

Strange, then maybe it's not really a CUPS problem?

> Checking the access- and error logs of cups when failing, I always see this weird message
> (not for the particular queue, but for all):
>
> access_log:
>  "POST /printers/OJ8600PRO_SW_A4_simplex_draft HTTP/1.1"
> 200 36510 Send-Document client-error-document-format-not-supported
>
> error_log:
> [Client 14] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document
> (ipp://localhost:631/printers/OJ8600PRO_SW_A4_simplex_draft) from localhost

Oh the fun of CUPS error messages, how wonderful... ;-)

Check your configuration files. Sometimes when an update is
done, things change in those files, so the older ones do not
keep working. Especially look for filter definitions for
the MIME types which seem to be the basis of how CUPS invokes
preprocessing. If you use the "Modify printer" option in the
web interface, configuration files should be updated automacially
with the new required settings (as CUPS can maintain those
files without the user manually editing them).

Reason: Within X and especially from LibreOffice to CUPS
(but maybe also from other applications), data is sent
"with no type" (which is application/octet-stream), whereas
other applications declare a type (like application/pdf or
image/png when addressing the printer input queue). CUPS
seems to have lost the ability for properly preprocessing
those "raw" data (which, sent from LO, actually is PS).

You'll probably have to "cupsenable" and "cupsaccept" the
printer afterwards.

> Has anybody ideas where to look further?

Check if the printer's "personality" (it's often really called
personality!) has changed and if the printer refuses to accept
anything that is not PS (maybe PCL?).

Maybe one of your CUPS dependencies hasn't been updated properly.
Are you using some special print filters in combination with CUPS?

Check /usr/local/etc/cups/mime.convs as described above.

> I was wondering if I might be the only one with trouble after that cups update.

Not yet, still using 1.5.4. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany