Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:53:18 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD JDK 1.3.1_p8 HotSpot not loading from jre/lib/ext???

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:53:17AM +0000, Antony T Curtis wrote:
> On a semi-related thought... Will patchset 9 be adjusted for hotspot to use
> the system gcc on -STABLE (ie gcc 2.9 instead of 3.2)... And will it be
> possible to have the JDK compiled so that -classic and -hotspot builds can
> coexist?

Maybe and maybe, respectively.  It depends on volunteer time and interest.
At the moment noone is specifically working on these issues (that I know
of).

> I have successfully compiled up p8 on my box with the system compiler and it
> appears to work well. I have also examined the work in jdk1.4 and merged it
> into 1.3 so that it no longer depends on the uthread_private.h kernel source.

Where are the patches available? :).

> A "nice" little fun test for java is at www.motionplayground.com
> With it, you notice that JDK1.3p8 is still way slower than JDK1.4p3
> And that JDK1.3p7+tya can perform more smoothly than p8...
> So - theres still some important issues in hotspot in 1.3.
> (I used Konq to launch the applet)

It does feel like HotSpot in 1.4.1 is more solid and performing better
than HotSpot in 1.3.1.  We basically need someone to step up to working
on HotSpot in 1.3.1.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org