Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:07:07 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Quantum hardware errors (Deferred Error: HARDWARE FAILURE asc:87,0)

    I'm bouncing this back to hackers, Peter...

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Peter Dufault wrote:

> Brian Tao writes:
> >
> >     I have only one disk here, so I used /dev/rsd0.ctl, but received a
> > "SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device" error when I
> > tried it as root.  Any suggestions?  This is a 2.0.5A system, with
> > whichever version of /sbin/scsi that entails.  The drive is also
> > formatted using the current slice code:
>
> That isn't nice.  Here is what /dev/rsd0.ctl looks like on my
> system:
>
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   13, 536870912 May  3 08:59 /dev/rsd0.ctl

    No, the minor numbers on my rsd*.ctl devices are completely
different:

crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,   0 May 29 20:48 /dev/rsd0.ctl
crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,   8 May 29 20:48 /dev/rsd1.ctl
crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,  16 May 29 20:48 /dev/rsd2.ctl
crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,  24 May 29 20:48 /dev/rsd3.ctl

    I mknod'd a 13:536870912 character special file and now it works.
Did the 2.0.5 installation mess up the minor device numbers?  I don't
see any *.ctl devices on my pre-2.0.5 machines, so I presume this is a
new feature (and thus couldn't have been left over from previous
installs)?  Anyhow, you were right about the write-cache:

# scsi -f rsd0.ctl -m 8
WCE:  1     <--- (write cache enabled, for the -hackers folks)
MF:  0
RCD:  0
Demand Retention Priority:  0
Write Retention Priority:  0
Disable Pre-fetch Transfer Length:  0    -> yours is 65535
Minumum Pre-fetch:  8                    -> yours is 0
Maximum Pre-fetch:  128
Maximum Pre-fetch Ceiling:  128

    So this is the firmware on the *drive* and not the controller
then... is this something we have to watch out for in 2.0.5, or has it
just been lurking around for the past six months on my 2.0 systems
without causing any trouble?

    I then used "scsi -f /dev/rsd2.ctl -m 8 -e -P 3" to turn off
write-cache enable.  The minimum pre-fetch on my drive was set to 8,
but I noticed yours is 0.  I suppose this value means the drive will
always try to grab 8 blocks at once?  It is set to 0 now, to match
yours, if it makes any difference.

    Noticed another error from syslog that happened about 8 hours after:

/kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): Deferred Error: HARDWARE FAILURE asc:87,0
[...8 hours...]
/kernel: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
/kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 163 failure

    Same cause?  Or something completely different?  As for the first
error, I'll see if my dealer has the tech books from Quantum (unless
someone knows Quantum's number in Taipei).
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org