Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:00:53 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ?

On 1/17/2018 3:39 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 17 Jan, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>> On 1/17/2018 8:43 AM, Pete French wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you running the latest STABLE ? There were some patches for Ryzen
>>> which went in I belive, and might affect te stability. Specificly the
>>> chnages to stop it locking up when executing code in the top page ?
>>
>> Hi,
>> 	I was testing with RELENG_11 as of 2 days ago.  The fix seems to be there
>>
>> # sysctl -A hw.lower_amd64_sharedpage
>> hw.lower_amd64_sharedpage: 1
>>
>> Would love to find a class of motherboard that pushes its "You dont need
>> to dork around with any BIOS settings. It just works.  Oh, and we have a
>> hardware watchdog too".... ipmi would be stellar.
>
> The shared page change fixed the random lockup and silent reboot problem
> for me.  I've got a 1700X eight core CPU and a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5. I
> did have to RMA my CPU (it was an early one) because it had the problem
> with random segfaults that seemed to be triggered by process migration
> between CPU cores.  I still haven't switched over to using it for
> package builds because I see more random fallout than on my older
> package builder.  I'm not blaming the hardware for that at this point
> because I see a lot of the same issues on my older machine, but less
> frequently.
>
> One thing to watch (though it should be less critical with a six core
> CPU) is VRM cooling.  I removed the stupid plastic shroud over the VRM
> sink on my motherboard so that it gets some more airflow.

Thanks! I will confirm the cooling.  I tried just now looking at the CPU
FAN control in the BIOS and up'd it to "turbo" from the default.  Does
amdtmp.ko work with your chipset ? Nothing on mine unfortunately, so I
cant tell from the OS if its running hot.

Is there a way to see if your CPU is old and has that bug ? I havent
seen any segfaults on the few dozen buildworlds I have done. So far its
always been a total lockup and not crash with RELENG11.

x86info v1.31pre
Found 12 identical CPUs
Extended Family: 8 Extended Model: 0 Family: 15 Model: 1 Stepping: 1
CPU Model (x86info's best guess): AMD Zen Series Processor (ZP-B1)
Processor name string (BIOS programmed): AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core
Processor

Monitor/Mwait: min/max line size 64/64, ecx bit 0 support, enumeration
extension
SVM: revision 1, 32768 ASIDs, np, lbrVirt, SVMLock, NRIPSave,
TscRateMsr, VmcbClean, FlushByAsid, DecodeAssists, PauseFilter,
PauseFilterThreshold
Address Size: 48 bits virtual, 48 bits physical
The physical package has 12 of 16 possible cores implemented.
 running at an estimated 3.20GHz

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400