Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:34:34 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM: Score 3.3: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Matthias Buelow writes:

> Well, if you just run a set of 1-3 applications, and don't do anything
> else with the computer, there shouldn't be much of a difference.

True, if those applications run identically on both platforms.

> Apart from making a political statement, the advantage is
> of course being independent from the Microsoft update cycle.

The disadvantage is that you need orders of magnitude more technical
expertise in-house to support the OS.

A serious problem will arise if the city wants to install a new
application and it runs only on Windows.

> Another point, as far as I got it, was security, i.e., higher
> resilience towards worms and viruses.

Except that this isn't the case.  Most of the stuff I see on bugtraq
these days references versions of UNIX, particularly Linux.  UNIX has
traditionally been a less tempting target, but it is not a less
vulnerable target.

--
Anthony