Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:14:22 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SirCam virus

cyrus is not relevent to this discussion.  Your not replacing it,
your replacing the local delivery program.  cyrus gets the
message well after the local delivery program (ie: procmail)
has finished with it.

The way it works now is that the message comes in, is accepted by
sendmail which passes it to the local delivery program mail.local,
which writes it into /var/mail/username.  cyrus then picks it up
from there when a imap or pop request comes in and delivers it out
via imap or pop.

The way you want it to work is the message comes in, is accepted by
sendmail which passes it to the local delivery program procmail,
which filters it for spam and for this virus, then writes it into
/var/mail/username.  cyrus then picks it up from there when a imap or pop
request comes in and delivers it out via imap or pop.

All that feature does that I mention in the article is change the line
in sendmail.cf

Mlocal,         P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXfmnz9P,
S=EnvFromL/
HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,

to a Mlocal line that replaces mail.local with the procmail invocation.

You want to spend some time reading the procmail mailing list and
documentation for some more detailed answers.  But it's not that hard
and also procmail is the default local delivery program for GNU/Linux
so there's plenty of info out there on it in the Linux mailing list
archives.  (although a lot of Linux people use postfix instead of
sendmail, yech!)