Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:05:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      hans@brandinnovators.com (Hans Zuidam)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is our ASYNC I/O support for ttys broken?

> Thomas Roell wrote:
> If the ioctl's would work as descrribed there would be no problem, but
> as I mentioned already, they don't.
Second that.

According to "The Design and Implementation etc." SIGIO is sent to
the process group controlling the terminal (pg.206).  Nowhere does
it say that the terminal should be a control tty (pg.  109).  The
manual pages (signal(2) and fcntl(2)) lead you to believe that
SIGIOs can be generated for others than the control tty of a process.

Anyway, the fact that SIGIO can only be sent in response to I/O on
a process's control tty makes them pretty useless for anything but
rlogin style programs.  So either the manual pages would have to
change or the implementation.  I vote for the implementation ;-)

Regards,
					Hans
--
H. Zuidam                        E-Mail: hans@brandinnovators.com
Brand Innovators B.V.            P-Mail: P.O. Box 1377