Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:02:55 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stpcpy()

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 02:49:24AM +0300, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:
> > Bruce hit the nail right on the head -- people are making assumptions
> > with out know what their compiler is doing.
>
> You omitted following Bruce's words:
>
> > > In practice, gcc seems to only inline strlen().

What does that have to do with the wisdom I was extracting from BDE's
statements?  A LOT of people are trying to optimize things with out
knowing what their compiler does.

> There is nothing that prevent to clone the highly optimized ASM strcpy()
> to create a highly optimized ASM stpcpy().

Except most application developers don't make you build a new libc to add
an ASM file they provide.

> Really? Why? My colleagues use Windows and occasionally use stpcpy(),
> just because it is CONVENIENT and obviously cannot make their program
> slower. If the program is slower on FreeBSD (or even not compile), this is
> not their fault.

Bull crap.  If an application writer uses non-standard functions it *is*
their fault.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)