Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:02:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAEhv.nl>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fixed bad-disk problems with the DPT controller

Hi,

This might just save somebody else's day as well.

I got one of the worse scenarios possible today:

I attached my new DAT tape to the DPT scsi bus today, to make the first
backup in over a year. :-(
So, of course, Murphy struck: The tape had the same SCSI-ID as did the
hot-spare. Booting 2.2.5 gave all kinds of 'errors' and soon that obnoxious
beeper on the controller gave me a head-ache.

Going back into DOS/dptmgr did not get me anywhere. Drives ( 2 of 3)  were
in a bad state, and stayed that way.

But one call to the States solved the problem:
	/pub/techsup/SRIV/utilities/opt1b.zip
allows you to switch drives to the good (optimal) state.

Now if any of the information has become corrupted in you RAID, this might
save your day as well.

I'm currently in the proces of making a 'golden' backup.

--WjW
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 439 436
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands