Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        Support user <support@zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam filter blocks legitimate sender

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:

> Support user stands accused of saying :
> > G'day Bruce,
> >
> > > Zeta is said to be "over spam-rampant and hates us poor dynamic IP folks" :-).
> >
> > The fix, for the person trying to send the mail, is very easy ... simply
> > use your real E-mail address in the "From" envelope header.
>
>   Ahhh. But I do. The problem is that my hostname "micron.efn.org" doesn't
> exist, even though my headers all refer to "j_mini@efn.org" (which is my real
> email address).

  No.  Envelope sender != header sender.  Your headers are correct, but
the envelope is not.  The envelope information travels outside the message
(via SMTP).

  You simply need to tell your mail system to use the correct envelope
sender address, and it will work fine.  Your hostname of micron.efn.org
has NOTHING to do with it.

Tom