Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:45:21 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPC ver of freeBSD ? isent that the main body of os X

On Feb 4, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Lucas Holt wrote:
> The userland is freebsd.. i.e. the executables in /usr/bin, /bin, etc.
>  I'm sure apple alters a few things.  The part of OSX that differs is
> in the kernel.  Roughly half the kernel is FreeBSD 5.0 and the other
> half is based on the Mach 3.0 kernel design.

The MacOS X userland originally and primarily derives from NEXTSTEP.
The original PPC port of NEXTSTEP, called Rhapsody, included a bunch of
changes from NetBSD and FreeBSD (in that order), and OS X has since
followed changes made to FreeBSD more closely.

MacOS X is using a monolithic kernel which derives from between the CMU
Mach project v2.0 and v2.5 circa 1990, which was Avie Tenavian's grad
project at CMU.  Apple is not using the Mach 3.0 microkernel, nor is it
using "half of the FreeBSD 5 kernel".

--
-Chuck