Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:55:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Ivan Carey <icarey@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to hang up a ppp connection

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Ivan Carey wrote:

> Hello,
> I have setup a connection to the internet from my network using ppp with the help of the Pedantic PPP Primer.
>
> Although this primer is good at helping setup a connection nothing is mentioned on how to close a connection.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is:
>
> A user on a windows operating system connected to the LAN can dial to the internet through my FreeBSD server.
> at present this is possible by them simply typing in a URL in their browser. The modem dials when this is done.
>
> Now when the user wishes to be able to stop browsing they should be able to click on a button or something of the like, similar to the way windows provides a disconnect.
>
> Has anyone been able to achieve this and if so please how?
>
> I do not wish the user to be able to dicsonnect by using the FreeBSD Server directly. The idea is that the FreeBSD Server will sit in a corner doing its thing while the users use their windows pc's.
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan

Please wrap lines at ~72 characters or so.

Do you really want a user to be able to hang up ppp?  Maybe you have
another user at another computer still surfing?

Perhaps the -auto mode option for ppp is what you want--it establishes
a connection when there's traffic to handle.  You can set a timeout
(the default is, I think, 300 seconds) so it hangs up the connection
when there's no traffic.

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC