Date:      17 Nov 2002 23:00:42 +0100
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 22:03, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Marc writes:
>
> > Actually ... there is a difference between a
> > developer stress-testing an application, especially
> > one as complex as an OS, and real world testing
>
> That's why software companies usually have dedicated test groups.
>
> > How many developers have the hardware to
> > continously pound in such an environment
> > for 20 days straight until it finally
> > decides to crash?
>
> Large software companies do, and that's exactly what is done.

And they still won't find all bugs. Whe have found bugs in a big router
verndors products that where so bad that we had to move some functions
to a diffrent box in order to have a working network. They could not
repeat that in the lab. Testing is good, but one has to keep in mind
that it is very hard to simulate real loads.