Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:56:52 +0200
From:      Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Constantly running out of swap space

Using FreeBSD 10.2

I'm using a swap file set up as described at
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/adding-swap-space.html

No matter what size I make it (last time 4GB) I run out of swap space on
a VPS with 768KB RAM. Space is being used by amavisd/clamd which is
apparently notorious space hungry, but it's clear to me there's a
problem somewhere. Everything works OK for a while (a few hours? on a
system with very little traffic (100 emails a day...)) and then runs out
of space.

I assume amavisd/clamd are not using swap space explicitly and the OS
decides on is own that swap space is needed.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Bernard Higonnet