Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:50:34 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

my general attitude is that when you are hitting 100% cpu
utilization, small performance improvements such as those
deriving from m_getcl() are not relevant, and you might
want to restructure your sw in order to get substantial
performance improvements.

In the specific case, at least reading from the comments,
it seems that firewall processing is really the main
cpu consumer, so they should revise their ruleset more
than move to a different board, or use polling (i have polling
patches for the intel gigabit adapter)

What are the actual packet rates at which you are seeing problems ?

	cheers
	luigi