Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:06:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        stork@QNET.COM (Heredity Choice)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), jswarner@uswest.net (Joe Warner), kris@FreeBSD.ORG (Kris Kennaway), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Source (fwd)

> www.mslinux.org is obviously a spoof, but very clever and amusing. The GPL
> would not allow Microsoft to pirate Linux code and sell it Microsoft style.
>
> At least I don't think so, but I once read that WINNT uses the Mach
> microkernel, which has a license very similar to the GPL. Can anybody
> comment?

Microsoft claimed that NT had a "microkernel architecture"; it
really doesn't, but that was the set of buzzwords that were
popular and "modern" aqt the time.  I guess you could claim
that having a huge number of VXDs could, in a wild stretch, be
referred to as a "microkernel architecture".  NT is definitely
not based on MACH; its closest relative is VMS (same architect).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.