Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mergemaster Bug (Though not a serious one)

Hello All,

I just cvsup'd -current last night and ran "make buildworld, make buildkernel,
make installkernel, reboot, make installworld, mergemaster" (thus updating my
system from a May -current).

One thing that I found interesting during mergemaster was the grouping of
changes.  For instance mergemaster determined that my /etc/group file was
lacking some groups.  The 4 groups that needed changing were on adjacent lines.
 Mergemaster gave me the option of merging all 4 changes at once as apposed to
merging the changes 1 line at a time.

 Example:
   Existing /etc/group       |       New /etc/group
   __________________________|_____________________
   wheel:root,galen          |       wheel:root
   foo:x,y                   |       foo:

  mergemaster would show something like above and I would have to choose
  which of the (group of two lines) I want.

IIRC the old mergemaster merged changes like this one line at a time.  I know
mergemaster has been changed since May (been rewritten to use sh instead of
perl).  I looked at the man page, didn't see any relevant options to this
situation.  I don't know if this is intended behavior, if a fix was recently
posted, or it is pilot error on my part.  I just thought I would let someone
know in case this needs fixing for 5.0-release.

regards,
Galen Sampson