Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:02:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake

On 27-Oct-98 Studded uttered:
> Mike Nguyen wrote:

>> > Agreed, but on one of lists someone pointed out some other issues with
>> > pdksh.  This was quite a while back on -isp or -security.
>> >
>> > Korn is supposed to 100% bourne compatible.
>> >
>> > Coming from BSDi to FBSD, I was rather put out that I needed to install
>> > it.
>> > 8-)
>>
>> First thing I do when I install a new FreeBSD box is install the BSDi ksh
>> binaries from the AT&T software reuse website as /bin/ksh.
>
>       Do you have a URL for this? I'd love to give ksh a try.

Doug,

I got ksh93 from http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/reuse/

It's statically linked so I can run it in single-user (and therefore as root's
shell). Downside is that it's about twice as big as /bin/sh, and it isn't
freeware (free for non-commercial use). Otherwise it's very nice.

I think I got this URL (or it's predecessor, before the AT&T/Lucent split) from
the -current list a long whiles back.

It's the so called 'astkit'. For some reason, the BSDi binaries weren't at
www.kornshell.com. What you want is the ast-base-98, which has binaries only for
BSDi. I don't know what the difference is between that and ast-base-97, which is
what is available for all other platforms.

Mike.

Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com> - UNIX Sysadmin and Geek
  Pager (800) SKY-8888 pin# 1138368
     or 1138368@skytel.com

Your lucky number is 3552664958674928.  Watch for it everywhere.