Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU>
Cc:        stable@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM coredumps on src-2.1.0196.gz...

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Dave Glowacki wrote:

> > >Is there a resolution for this? I just checked and the .0196 issue is
> > >still the same version I and others had problems running. Many complaints
> > >during the process about non-existing files and ultimate checksum failure.
> >
> > As someone else already reported, and I verified,  starting with base
> > update file from 2.1.5 CD, everything updates just fine. I suggest that you
> > clean your tree and rebuild it.
>
> Before you do that, you might want to just try a bit of text editing.
>
> gunzip src-2.1.0196.gz (after, of course, making a copy of the original
> file) and delete the reference to that one file (if your system is in the
> same state as mine, it's only trying to delete that one file.)  When you
> gzip the 196 file again and rerun ctm, you'll get an error message that
> the checksum should be some hideously long number instead of the original
> hideously long number.  gunzip the 196 file again, replace the original
> checksum at the end of the file with the new checksum, re-gzip and rerun ctm.
>
> This worked for me, and I'm up to src-2.1.0210.  Usual restrictions apply,
> however: your mileage may vary; may cause blindness in farm animals; etc.
> etc. etc.

I think we're crashing at different places. Dispite the original subject
of this thread (not mine) I don't get a core dump... 0196 just won't
complete an edit (and it complains about scores of missing files),
specifically it can't edit gnu/usr.bin/patch/EXTERN.h for some reason and
exits with a status 120 (whatever that may mean).

-Dave