Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:17:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <andrewl@nshore.com>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS file locking fails from Solaris

I'm getting a strange problem in the NFS file locking code in -current.
(We won't talk about -stable.  It has fundamental brokenness.)

FreeBSD -current Server -> Solaris 8 Rel 4/01 Client

The Solaris client mounts the FreeBSD exported filesystem fine.  I can
create, delete, and manipulate files fine.

However, when I try to use fcntl to lock a file, the Solaris client hangs.
Normally, I would just let this go; however, Cadence (the VLSI CAD tool
company) requires locks to work in order to use its tools.  Therefore, I
can't use FreeBSD as a fileserver in my environment.

If I monitor the traffic on the line with ethereal, I see the request for
the version 4 nlockmgr from the Solaris client to the FreeBSD server.  I
see the FreeBSD server respond with the correct version and port.
However, after this, I start seeing a bunch of SYN/RST packets being
thrown around, and I never see a lock request initiated from the Solaris
client.

It is certainly conceivable that there is something fundamentally broken
in the Solaris code even though it works with other Solaris machines.
However, I'm a bit out of my depth on this and was hoping to be able to
talk to somebody and either get a confirmation that this is a known
problem or that it is something that I'm doing wrong in my configuration.

Who do I talk to about this?

Thanks,
Andy L.