Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 12:53:44 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
Cc:        paul@originative.co.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable vs -current (was Re: solid NFS patch #6... )

>> point, we shouldn't be merging stuff back into the -stable branch, only fix
>> specific straightforward problems that don't require complete
>> re-engineering.
>
>No new features means stagnation in development. It means that someone
>coming to FreeBSD and looking for a feature will only find it in -current,
>which, by virtue of being -current, will have other miscellaneous problems.
>This person gets annoyed and leaves.

   Sorry, but this just isn't how our development model has worked over the
past 6 years. -stable means it and we are not going to change that. -current
is for new features. The only new features that are added to -stable are
those which don't affect existing functionality and architectural changes are
to be avoid as much as possible. This has been a winning model for us and
we're not going to change it.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org