Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:39:32 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.homeunix.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solved?: Re: Upgrade of RELENG_8 ZFS boot pool leads to unbootable system

On 03/01/2013 21:18, Paul Mather wrote:

> It turns out it was my /boot.config that was preventing booting.  The system is usually always headless, so I have "-S115200 -Dh" as the sole line in /boot.config to enable a 115200 baud serial console.  This has been working fine for me up until I did a {build,install} {kernel,world} on 1st January 2013.  I was pretty sure my woes began after I did the "zpool upgrade -a" and subsequently rebooted again, but now I can't be sure whether I successfully rebooted at all after the "make installworld" and mergemaster step.
>
> Does anyone know a sure-fire way of getting a dual console setup (high-speed serial + VGA).  The recipe I had been using had worked well for a long time.  I had "-S115200 -Dh" in /boot.config and the following entries in /boot/loader.conf:
>
> 	boot_multicons="YES"
> 	comconsole_speed="115200"
> 	console="comconsole,vidconsole"
>
> Now, though, if I have "-S115200 -Dh" then the system locks up at boot.  Removing /boot.config gets me dual console, but only at 9600 baud. :-(
I have
root@copia:/root # more /boot.config
-Dh

and
root@copia:/root # grep 'cons' /boot/loader.conf
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
comconsole_speed="19200"
boot_multicons="yes"

Which works fine for ipmi based serial over lan console in a generic
9.1-RELEASE.
Not sure thats that helpful but 19200 is better than 9600 ;)

Vince